Essex County prosecutors say a county jail inmate has been charged with murder in the beating death of his cellmate.
Twenty-nine-year-old Rahdi Richardson is accused of killing 27-year-old Desmond Sanders, who was found unresponsive inside his cell around 5:30 a.m. Sunday.
Sanders was pronounced dead in his cell about an hour later, and an autopsy determined that he died from blunt-force trauma and asphyxiation.
Authorities have said Richardson and Sanders, both Newark residents, had been jailed since June, when they were arrested in connection with a shooting in Newark. Both were charged with aggravated assault and weapons offenses.
Richardson's bail was set at $850,000 on the murder charge, which was announced Wednesday night.
- Arrests in Deadly Beating of Area Native at College
- Funeral Plans for Student Beaten to Death
- Former Soldier Gets 10 Years for Heroin Smuggling
- Man in “Bonnie and Clyde” Chase Pleads Guilty to Burglary
- 1.5M Bees Making Unique Urban Honey on West Philly Roof