Laundromat Heist Video: Man Points Gun at Employee | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Laundromat Heist Video: Man Points Gun at Employee



    (Published Thursday, Dec. 19, 2013)

    A masked man carrying a revolver points the gun at the head of a worker and forces him to the ground while his masked accomplice calmly enters the store and forces a woman doing her laundry to the ground.

    The violent actions played out in a matter of seconds last week inside a Philadelphia Laundromat. But the men would spend another 20 minutes in the store trying to break into the store's ATM.

    On Wednesday, Philadelphia Police released surveillance video of the two suspects trying to rob the Laundry Depot Center off Cheltenham Avenue near the Cheltenham Mall in the West Oak Lane section of Philadelphia.

    According to Philadelphia Police Capt. George Fuchs, surveillance video taken last Friday morning around 4:50 a.m. shows the two men entering the nearly empty Laundromat.

    Laundromat Robbed, Worker Handcuffed

    [PHI] Laundromat Robbed, Worker Handcuffed
    Masked men stormed a Laundromat while a worker and customer were inside and stole cash from an ATM.
    (Published Friday, Dec. 13, 2013)

    In the video you see a slim man in a dark hoodie with "NIKE" written across the front run into the store and point his handgun at the employee mopping the floor.

    The armed man forced the employee to the ground -- handcuffing the man, said Fuchs.

    After forcing the woman onto the ground, a second suspect in a gray hoodie begins to work on the ATM.

    ATM Heist Inside Laundromat

    [PHI] ATM Heist Inside Laundromat
    Philadelphia Police Capt. George Fuchs describes what happened inside the West Oak Lane business.
    (Published Friday, Dec. 13, 2013)

    "..Opened the duffel bag started bringing out tools and breaking in," said Fuchs.

    For 20 minutes the men -- both with their faces covered and wearing gloves -- tried to pry open the ATM while the scared victims continued to lay on the floor.

    Eventually the men gave up and fled the store on foot toward Limekiln Pike but not before first taking a laptop from the office, according to police.

    NBC10 cameras later captured firefighters cutting off the handcuffs.

    According to police, the armed suspect stands about 6-feet tall and is in his 20s. His accomplice is also in his 20s and stands about 5-foot-6-inches tall.