NBC10.com - Sheena Parveen
What should runners and spectators expect at Sunday's Philadelphia Marathon? NBC10's Sheena Parveen has the forecast.
The 19th Annual Philadelphia Marathon is set to take place this morning.
Of course, the big concern going into the race is the weather. Runners and spectators should expect mostly sunny skies this morning at the start with a mix of sun and clouds as the day goes on. Temperatures should be a little below 40 degrees when runners line up in front of the Art Museum at 7 a.m. and go up to around 43 by 11 a.m., according to NBC10 meteorologist Dave Warren.
NBC10 meteorologist Sheena Parveen also says expect a low UV Index and that winds shouldn't be a big problem.
You still might want to wear the sweatpants, long-sleeved shirt and hat right up until the start of the race or plan to lose the extra layers as the race goes on.
And spectators might want to bring a scarf and gloves as they track their favorite runners on their smart phones.
If you plan on heading down to the race to run or watch you are encouraged to take SEPTA or PATCO into the city and then walk to the start line. If you plan on driving there are various lots and parking garages located in Center City that are within walking distance. You can also hope to find a spot on the street but don’t count on it being easy.
As for the road closures:
The inner lanes of the Ben Franklin Parkway have been closed since Friday and will stay closed until 4 p.m. on Sunday.
From 4 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday the entire Ben Franklin Parkway from near Eakins Oval and from 20th to 23rd Streets along the Parkway will be closed for the half marathon and marathon. The rest of the course will be closed from 6:45 a.m. Sunday until 4 p.m.
The following streets and intersections will be closed from 6:45 a.m. until runner pass by (times vary).
- 21st Street, from Spring Garden to Arch streets
- 22nd Street, from Spring Garden to Arch streets
- Benjamin Franklin Parkway, from 22nd to 16th streets
- Arch Street between 16th to 4th streets
- 4th Street Arch to Vine streets
- Race Street, from 4th Street to Columbus Boulevard
- Columbus Boulevard (Southbound lanes), Vine Street to Washington Avenue
- Southbound off-ramp, from I-95 at Washington Avenue
- Washington Avenue, from Columbus Boulevard to Front Street
- Front Street, from Washington Avenue to South Street
- South Street, Front to 6th streets
- 6th Street, Bainbridge to Market streets
- Chestnut Street, 6th to 34th streets
- 34th Street, Chestnut Street to Girard Avenue
- Lansdowne Drive, Girard Avenue to South Concourse Drive
- South Concourse Drive, Lansdowne Drive to West Memorial Hall Drive
- West Memorial Hall Drive, South Concourse to Avenue of the Republic
- Avenue of the Republic, West Memorial Hall Drive to Centennial Circle
- Old Lansdowne Drive to the Sweetbriar Loop
- Black Road
- Martin Luther King Drive
- Kelly Drive
- The Falls Bridge
- Ridge Avenue, Schoolhouse Lane to Manayunk Avenue
- Main Street, Ridge Avenue to Green Lane