Suspect in Deadly Hit-and-Run Turns Herself In

View Comments ()



    The wife of a man who was killed in an early morning hit-and-run says she got into a fight with her husband just moments before he was killed. She talks with NBC10's Nefertiti Jaquez about what happened. (Published Saturday, Nov. 16, 2013)

    Police say a woman who struck a man with her vehicle and then fled the scene turned herself in.

    Early Saturday morning, Victor Ortiz was struck by the hit-and-run vehicle and then struck again by a second vehicle in the Olney section of the city.

    Ortiz's wife told NBC10's Nefertiti Jaquez that she was fighting with her husband just moments before he was hit and killed. 

    "I feel like, I don't know, sometimes I feel like it's my fault, like I should have just left with him," said Kenya Matos.

    Hit-and-Run Victim Hit by Two Cars: Police

    [PHI] Hit-and-Run Victim Hit by Two Cars: Police
    A man is killed after getting hit by a driver that took off, and then getting hit again by a second car. NBC10's Nefertiti Jaquez reports. (Published Saturday, Nov. 16, 2013)

    Matos said they were fighting over Ortiz's recent drinking problem, which she says started after he was diagnosed with cancer. She went inside La Barra bar on Rising Sun Avenue, but Ortiz wasn't allowed in.

    This all happened around 3:15 a.m. The bar's manager says he witnessed the entire thing.

    "It looked like a silver to champagne-colored Honda hits him, spins him into the oncoming traffic and that's when the second vehicle hits him," said Loren Williams.

    A police officer responding to a call nearby also witnessed the accident and saw the first driver take off. Authorities say the impact from the second car probably killed Ortiz. That driver stayed on the scene and will likely not face charges.

    Man Dead After Being Struck by 2 Cars

    [PHI] Man Dead After Being Struck by 2 Cars
    Police say a man was struck by a car which fled the scene and then struck and killed by a second car immediately after. (Published Saturday, Nov. 16, 2013)

    "It didn't really hit me until the paramedics came and put the white sheet over him," said Williams.

    Police say the hit-and-run driver turned herself in to police around 3 p.m. on Saturday. Charges against her are pending. They have not yet released her identity.

    Stay with for more details on this developing story.