Man Rescued Then Arrested After DUI Crash: Police

By David Chang
|  Sunday, Dec 22, 2013  |  Updated 12:12 PM EDT
View Comments (
Man Rescued, Arrested After DUI Crash: Police

New Castle County Police Department

Robert Blisard


A Delaware man was rescued and then arrested after police say he was involved in a DUI crash.

Police say Robert Blisard, 41, of Clayton was driving a 2003 Dodge Intrepid eastbound on Commons Boulevard near the intersection of Reads Way in New Castle on Friday shortly before 6 p.m.

According to police, Blisard was weaving in and out of traffic and tailgating other motorists. Blisard then allegedly traveled behind a 2002 Pontiac Bonneville driven by Mary Rhodes, 43, of New Castle.

Police say Blisard suddenly approached the Bonneville at a high speed and struck the right rear bumper of the car. The impact caused the Intrepid to travel off the roadway, down a hill and into a pond. The Bonneville traveled a mile down the road before it came to a stop.

Related Stories

Police say two drivers passing by spotted Blisard’s car inside the pond. They then spotted Blisard’s passenger, Joe Moorehead, 23, who had managed to escape. The witnesses say Moorehead began yelling that Blisard was still inside. Moorehead then allegedly began to run away from the scene but was caught a short time later.

One witness called 911 while another went into the pond and swam towards the vehicle where he spotted Blisard. Police say the Good Samaritan then smashed out the back of the rear window of the hammer. Other Good Samaritans as well as a police supervisor and Delaware State Trooper then entered the pond to help with the rescue.

Police say Blisard was able to escape through the driver’s side window and his rescuers helped him out of the water.

As the rescue took place, other officers checked on Rhodes, who had been hurt in the collision.

Blisard, Moorehead and Rhodes were all taken to Christiana Hospital where they were treated for minor injuries and then later released. After investigating the incident, police determined that Blisard was driving under the influence. Police also say that both Blisard and Moorehead had a capias for their arrests.

Blisard was arrested and charged with DUI (second offense) and driving with a suspended license. He was arraigned and committed to the Howard R. Young Correctional Institute after failing to post $370 cash bail.

Moorehead was transported to the county headquarters for his outstanding capias. He was arraigned and later released.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
Leave Comments
What's New
FlyeredUp: Win 2 Tickets to Flyers Playoff Game
Win two tickets to the first... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out