Closing Arguments Slated in Trial on Machete Attack Near High School

Wednesday, Sep 11, 2013  |  Updated 9:02 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Closing Arguments Slated in Trial on Machete Attack Near High School

AP

advertisement

Closing arguments are scheduled Wednesday in the aggravated assault trial of a man accused of having tried to cut off a teenager's hand with a machete outside a northeastern Pennsylvania high school last year.

Twenty-one-year-old Juan Boron took the stand on Tuesday in Luzerne County to deny that he was involved in the February 2012 fight outside GAR High School in Wilkes-Barre.

Prosecutors allege that Borbon swung a machete at the 15-year-old victim, nearly cutting off the 10th grade student's hand during a melee between two groups of young people.

Borbon said through an interpreter that he was getting sandwiches at a nearby store for himself and his pregnant girlfriend at the time.

Authorities said the brawl stemmed from tensions between black students and Dominican students at the school.

Related Stories

Borbon remains jailed awaiting the verdict on various assault charges, conspiracy charges and reckless endangerment, according to court records.

 


Get the latest from NBC10 Philadelphia anytime: Android/iPhone/iPad Apps | SMS Alerts | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
FlyeredUp: Win 2 Tickets to Flyers Playoff Game
Win two tickets to the first... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out