Kid Calls 911 After Dad Killed, Mom Shot in Home Invasion

A Philadelphia man is dead and his wife in the hospital after a home invasion.

View Comments (


    A husband and father is murdered, his wife critically hurt, during a home invasion in Strawberry Mansion. The couple's two children were in the house when their parents were shot. Police are searching for three suspects.

    A 35-year-old man is dead and his wife is in the hospital after their home was invaded and possibly robbed early Monday morning in the Strawberry Mansion section of the city, police say.

    The home invasion happened on the 3200 block of Cecil B. Moore Avenue around 4:00 a.m., according to police.

    Police say two men broke into the house, alerting the homeowners, and shot Sherell Paul, 39, at least eight times. The men then allegedly shot Sherell's husband, John Paul Jr. multiple times, killing him. Despite her wounds, Sherell managed to survive.

    “We don’t know if there was any relationship at all between the killers and the victims,” said Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey. “We don’t believe there was.”

    Neighbors and Family Speak Out About Home Invasion

    [PHI] Neighbors and Family Speak Out About Home Invasion
    A home invasion happened early Monday morning at the 3200 block of Cecil B. Moore Avenue, according to police. During the invasion a man was shot dead and his wife was left in critical condition, police said. Police received the 911 call from one of the couple's children. The couple's two children are now with family members. NBC10's Terry Ruggles reports the details.

    The couple’s two children were in the house at the time of the shootings. The couple's oldest son called 911, authorities say. Both children are now with police.

    "To hear what happened, it’s terrible man,"  neighbor Gary Dunmore told NBC10 Philadelphia. "My stomach is turning, because I knew the guy, nice guy, nice family."

    "The father was a good father," said another neighbor Raymond Marrero. "He used to take his kids to football practice, football games."

    Sherell is in fair condition at Temple University Hospital.

    After finding a blood trail out of the house, police say one of the suspects may have either accidentally shot himself or was accidentally shot by his accomplice. Police also say the two suspects escaped in a black car with a third suspect behind the wheel.

    Police say the victims were not criminals, have never been involved in drugs or crime and did not know the gunmen.

    “There is no indication at all that this family was involved in anything illegal,” Ramsey said.

    A $20,000 reward is being offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of suspects in this case. Anyone with information should contact Philadelphia Police