Firefighter Hurt in Kensington Warehouse Fire Goes Home

Final firefighter injured in deadly blaze is released from the hospital

View Comments (


    After spending time in the hospital, firefighter Patrick Nally of Ladder 16 is finally home. But before going back to Northeast Philadelphia, he asked to stop by Ladder 10 to see the growing memorial for his fallen brothers. Lieutenant Robert Neary and firefighter Daniel Sweeney were killed in a massive warehouse fire last week in Kensington. NBC10's Claudia Rivero visited Patrick and talked to him about his experience.

    The last injured firefighter hospitalized following a Kensington warehouse blaze that killed two other firefighters was released from the hospital Tuesday.

    Firefighter Pat Nally was back home in the Holmesburg section of the city after spending more than a week at Temple University Hospital.

    Before heading home, he asked to stop by the memorial set up at Ladder 10 in honor of his two fallen comrades. He described to NBC10's Claudia Rivero the emotions he felt when he saw the tribute.

    "Very tough, it got me all worked up," Nally said. "I miss my brothers, I was happy to go down and see what a great job everybody did with all the flowers and stuff, that made me feel happy."

    2 Firefighters Killed in Line of Duty

    [PHI] 2 Firefighters Killed in Line of Duty
    Flames broke out early Monday morning at an empty factory in Kensington. Two firefighters died in the fire and three were injured. NBC10's Deanna Durante reports the details and talks to neighborhood residents.

    Nally suffered a back injury and has a broken pelvis. He's a five-year veteran of Ladder 16, and says he can't wait to return to his job.

    The five-alarm fire broke out just before 3:30 a.m. on April 9 at an abandoned warehouse at 1817 East York Street in Kensington.

    Around 6 a.m. -- after the fire was brought under control -- Nally and other firefighters were investigating an extension of the factory fire at an adjacent furniture store when the rear wall of that building collapsed, according to firefighters.

    Five firefighters were trapped. One got out on his own while Nally and Francis Cheney were rescued about 30 minutes later. Cheney was treated and released the same day of the blaze.

    Lt. Robert Neary, 60, and Firefighter Daniel Sweeney, 25, were found about two hours after the collapse. Both men died.


    Also on Tuesday Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams' office announced that a grand jury would investigate the blaze and see if any charges are warranted.

    No cause of the blaze has been released at this point.