Hundreds of customers went without power this morning as firefighters battled a three-alarm fire that destroyed a North Philadelphia warehouse.
Crews were called to 1815 Sedgley Avenue shortly before 6 a.m. and found heavy flames and smoke rising from the vacant structure. For safety reasons, fire crews asked PECO to shut off electricity to the area leaving 375 customers without power for several hours. Power was restored shortly after noon, according to PECO.
Officials reported several small explosions from propane tanks and called in hazardous materials crews to investigate.
Some neighboring residents were evacuated as a precaution, but no injuries were reported.
The Red Cross opened a comfort center at Dobbins High School to assist 22 people displaced as crews worked to get the fire under control. All the residents were able to return to their homes this afternoon, according to the Red Cross.
Officials said they had no immediate information about what might have started the blaze.