Hundreds Turn Out for Benefit for Burn Victim

Raquel Nunn was inside her Haddon Heights apartment when it exploded last weekend

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Friends, family and strangers came together Thursday night to raise money for Raquel Nunn. Nunn was badly hurt in a fire in Haddon Heights, N.J. on Saturday. A gas leak led to an explosion. NBC10's Chris Cato was there and talked to loved ones raising money to help Raquel. (Published Thursday, Feb 28, 2013)

    Hundreds of people showed up at a West Berlin bar tonight to show their support for 26-year-old Raquel Nunn.

    Nunn suffered burns on 60% of her body last Saturday when a gas explosion destroyed her Haddon Heights apartment.

    A day after the explosion, Camden County Fire Marshal Paul Sandrock told NBC10 that a leaking natural gas line to a second-floor appliance was the root cause of the explosion. The gas ignited when a tenant turned on her stove.

    Nunn remains hospitalized, heavily bandaged in the burn unit. Her friend Sara Cunningham tells NBC10 she is one of the few people who have visited her at the hospital.

    "It was really hard, really hard. But we wanted to tell her that we love her and we're not going anywhere, and we're fighting for her," said Cunningham.

    The crowd of about 300 people attended tonight's benefit at Ott's Greentop Inn, where Nunn works as a bartender.

    "Raquel is so brave and so tough and she has the highest integrity of anyone I've ever met," said Amy Nolan, Raquel's friend.
     

     


    Get the latest from NBC10 Philadelphia anytime: Android/iPhone/iPad Apps | SMS Alerts | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS