Cigarette Leads to Northeast Philly House Explosion

By David Chang
|  Thursday, Aug 22, 2013  |  Updated 4:57 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Cigarette Leads to Northeast Philly House Explosion

NBC10.com

advertisement

A man was hospitalized after a house explosion in Northeast Philadelphia.

Police say the 40-year-old man was cleaning a stove while the gas was still on inside a home on 2000 block of Foster Street. As the man was cleaning, he lit a cigarette, causing an explosion, according to investigators. 

The explosion shattered the windows of the home and caused a window frame to smash into a car. Despite the blast, the house did not collapse, according to investigators. 

The man was taken to the hospital and treated for non-life-threatening injuries. No one else was hurt. 

Nearby homes were evacuated as firefighters and PGW officials arrived at the scene. Those residents were allowed back inside later Wednesday night.

Related Stories

Click here for more news from Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware.

 


Get the latest from NBC10 Philadelphia anytime: Android/iPhone/iPad Apps | SMS Alerts | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
FlyeredUp: Win 2 Tickets to Flyers Playoff Game
Win two tickets to the first 2014... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out