Authorities say a young New Jersey girl playing with friends in a lagoon has died after being electrocuted when she touched a rail on a metal boat lift that had become energized.
Police say Kayla Matos, 11, of Newark, New Jersey, and her two friends were using an inflatable raft and swimming in the lagoon behind a home on Tobago Avenue in Toms River, New Jersey Saturday around 8 p.m.
Matos and one of her friends apparently touched the rail of the boat lift, and an electric current energized the equipment, according to investigators.
Matos was taken to Community Medical Center in Toms River but died there later that night. The two other children were not injured.
Authorities say the girls were wearing lifejackets and in the presence of adults when the accident occurred.
The death remains under investigation.