A former Essex County, New Jersey teacher of the year has admitted having sex with a 15-year-old boy enrolled in an honors class she taught.
Erica DePalo pleaded guilty Tuesday to child endangerment. In return, county prosecutors will recommend she get lifetime parole supervision when she's sentenced in April.
DePalo will also have to register as a sex offender and forfeit her teacher's license. She declined comment after entering her plea.
Prosecutors say the 33-year-old Montclair resident had a brief sexual relationship with a student in her honors English class at West Orange High School. She initially was charged with aggravated sexual assault and sexual, and could have faced up to 10 years in prison if convicted.
Prosecutors say the boy's family approved of the plea deal.
More Local Stories:
- Man Beaten by Police Cleared of Wrongdoing
- UPenn Health System To Stop Hiring Tobacco Users
- Christie Wants Facelift of 'Ugliest Building in World'
- Caught on Cam: Female Students Fight at Archbishop Ryan
- NJ Lawmaker 'Likes' Racy, Violent Facebook Pages
- Dog Named "Thor" Kills Zoo Animal