Four firefighters were taken to the hospital and More than one dozen people were displaced after a fire spread to four row homes in the Olney section of Philadelphia.
And, Memorial Day grilling could have ignited the blaze.
The fire broke out around 5 p.m. on the 100 block of Linton Street.
"It was like a loud pop," said Shawn Grant, who lives across the street. "Like a boom and then everybody starts running!"
Officials say the flames spread to four of the homes before firefighters were able to bring it under control.
Four firefighters suffered smoke inhalation and heat exhaustion while fighting the flames. They were all treated at the Einstein Medical Center.
Officials also say 15 people, including Antonio Heyward, were displaced by the blaze. Heyward says he had just left his home shortly before the fire began to go to the Phillies game when he received a call. Not only did he learn about the fire which ultimately destroyed his home, but he was also told his son was unaccounted for.
"I was devastated," Heyward said. "No one could give me any answers."
Fortunately, Heyward's son got out safely. None of the displaced residents were hurt.
"All I care about is life," Heyward said. "Everything else can be replaced."
Kadia Carter, another resident who lost everything in the fire, told NBC10 her mother had been cooking hours earlier, which may have sparked the fire.
"It started on the deck," Carter said. "Everything went in flames."
Firefighters have not yet determined an official cause however. They continued to investigate Tuesday.
The Red Cross assisted the displaced residents.