Early Morning Fire Rips Through Barnaby's Restaurant | NBC 10 Philadelphia
Breakfast Buzz

Breakfast Buzz

Your morning dose of need-to-know news, weather and more.

Early Morning Fire Rips Through Barnaby's Restaurant

Authorities blame careless smoking for fire started at the restaurant on 1901 Old West Chester Pike around 5 a.m.

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    A fire ripped through a popular restaurant and bar in Havertown, Delaware County Sunday morning. NBC10's Lauren Mayk has the details and spoke to the owner of Barnaby's.

    (Published Sunday, May 7, 2017)

    A powerful fire ripped through Barnaby’s of America Restaurant in Havertown early Sunday morning.

    The two-alarm fire started at the restaurant on 1901 Old West Chester Pike around 5 a.m. Flames could be seen engulfing the restaurant’s interior and roof. The fire was brought under control within an hour.

    The blaze destroyed the outside deck, damaged the exterior of the building and also melted a car that was left outside the restaurant overnight. The car belongs to Jeff Price, who went to Barnaby's Saturday night and then took an Uber home.

    "Yeah I had a few Chardonnays and then I figured, better off not driving," Price said. "It didn't work out as I planned."

    Bill Daley, the owner of the restaurant, told NBC10 he opened Barnaby's 20 years ago.

    "It's like 'Cheers,'" Daley said. "Remember the television show 'Cheers?' You come in here, everybody's happy. You see a doctor or contractor or lawyer. Everybody gets along."

    While the damage to the restaurant is extensive, Daley told NBC10 he's thankful no one was hurt.

    "It's very emotional. Believe me when i say that," Daley said. "The best part, if there's any best part of anything, no one was hurt here. That's all that really matters to me."

    Daley told NBC10 the restaurant and bar employed 60 to 70 people.

    "We'll take care of our people," Daley said. "Every one of them. If I have to do it myself I'll take care of them because they're that special."

    While Daley said some of his employees may be able to work at other Barnaby's locations, he's also confident his business will reopen by July 4th. 

    "We're gonna fix this," he said. "We're gonna fix it."

    Haverford fire officials ruled the fire accidental, most likely caused by a discarded cigarette.