Boy, 8, Recipient of 1st Double-Hand Transplant Leaves Children's Hospital of Philadelphia | NBC 10 Philadelphia

A little mind candy for the middle of your day

Boy, 8, Recipient of 1st Double-Hand Transplant Leaves Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Wednesday doctors at CHOP cleared Zion Harvey to go home, after he underwent a double hand transplant last month. (Published Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2015)

    An 8-year-old boy who became the youngest patient to receive a double-hand transplant has left the Philadelphia hospital where the procedure was done and was returning to his Maryland home.

    Ashley Moore, spokeswoman for the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, said in an email that Zion Harvey was discharged Wednesday and was going to his home in Owings Mills, Maryland, a Baltimore suburb.

    Zion, who lost his hands and feet to an infection, underwent the 11-hour operation in July. Moore said after a week in the pediatric intensive care unit, Zion was moved to a medical unit and then to an inpatient rehabilitation unit.

    Zion will continue to receive therapy on an outpatient basis.

    Young Hand Transplant Patient Making Progress

    [PHI] Young Hand Transplant Patient Making Progress
    CHOP officials say Zion Harvey is doing well and making progress after undergoing a hand transplant and now intense occupational therapy. (Published Saturday, Aug. 15, 2015)