Camden Teen Faces Manslaughter Charge for Deadly Punch | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Camden Teen Faces Manslaughter Charge for Deadly Punch

Police say 66-year-old Vietnam Veteran Allen Briscoe was killed after an 18-year-old punched him in the face following a minor car crash



    A Camden teen accused of landing a deadly punch on a Vietnam War veteran following a minor car crash was indicted for first-degree aggravted manslaughter, county prosecutors announced in a press release today.

    Akeem Mayes, 18 at the time, is accused of punching Allen Briscoe, 66, after Briscoe struck Mayes' 16-year-old pregnant girlfriend at a low speed, prosecutors said.

    Alleged Deadly Punch Teen in Court

    [PHI] Alleged Deadly Punch Teen in Court
    Vietnam Veteran Allen Briscoe was killed when 18-year-old Aleem Mayes allegedly punched him for accidentally hitting Mayes' pregnant girlfriend with his car, according to authorities.
    (Published Wednesday, Jan. 25, 2012)

    The incident happened on 30th Street near Berkley Street the night of Jan. 23, 2012.

    Police say Briscoe was driving his pick-up truck down 30th Street to pick up his wife at a relative’s home. He was nearly a block away when investigators say he accidentally struck the pregnant girl who had stepped out into the street.

    Minor Car Crash Ends in Deadly Confrontation

    [PHI] Minor Car Crash Ends in Deadly Confrontation
    A Camden man is dead after he's allegedly punched by a teen on a street. The confrontation followed a minor car accident that involved the teen's pregnant girlfriend.
    (Published Tuesday, Jan. 24, 2012)

    The girl was knocked down and suffered minor injuries, according to investigators.

    Police say Mayes approached Briscoe and began to argue with him. Briscoe told Mayes he didn’t see the girl and apologized, according to investigators.

    "After realizing that he hit this young lady (Briscoe) immediately stopped his car and exited his vehicle to see if she was OK," said Assistant Prosecutor Mary Alison Albright at Mayes' arraignment last year. "While that was happening he was punched in the face and knocked unconscious."

    Prosecutors say that Briscoe fell to the ground and was confused when police officers arrived.

    Briscoe was taken to Cooper Hospital where he died later that night. The medical examiner determined that he suffered an aneurysm caused by the blunt force trauma.

    Mayes has a history of anger management issues, according to authorities.

    “I’m sure that this young man didn’t intend that he was going to murder somebody,” said Briscoe's niece Kimberly Gardner. “You have to think about your actions and the repercussions of those actions.”

    At Mayes' arraignment the judge said the high school senior is a flight risk and set bail at $750,000.


    Get the latest from NBC10 Philadelphia anytime: Android/iPhone/iPad Apps | SMS Alerts | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS