Collapse on June 5, 2013 in Center City Philadelphia killed 6 and injured 13 people

No Bail Reduction for Deadly Collapse Suspects

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    The contractor overseeing the demolition at 22nd and Market Streets turned himself in on charges including third degree murder and involuntary manslaughter. And as NBC10's Harry Hairston reports, Griffin Campbell is accused of cutting corners that cost lives. (Published Wednesday, Dec 4, 2013)

    The two men accused in a deadly building collapse that took the lives of six people, injured 13 and resulted in an overhaul of demolition practices in the city of Philadelphia will likely remain behind bars as they await their dates in court.

    Last month, contractor Griffin Campbell, 49, of Philadelphia, was charges with six counts of third-degree murder, six counts of involuntary manslaughter and 13 counts of reckless endangerment. Sean Benschop, an excavator hired by Campbell, faces six counts of involuntary manslaughter and 13 counts of reckless endangerment for his alleged role in the collapse.

    On Tuesday, Common Pleas Judge Patrick Dugan granted a continuance that pushes the earliest date for a preliminary trial to mid February, according to court records.

    Dugan also, as expected, denied a defense request to have bail reduced meaning both men will likely remain behind bars through the New Year unless they come up with millions in bail.

    Collapse Victim's Family Reacts to Contractor's Arrest

    [PHI] Collapse Victim's Family Reacts to Contractor's Arrest
    A second person is charged in June's deadly building collapse in Center City. The contractor overseeing the demolition, Griffin Campbell, turned himself in today. Campbell is facing charges that include six counts of third degree murder and involuntary manslaughter. NBC10's George Spencer has reaction to today's developments. (Published Monday, Nov 25, 2013)

    Campbell is accused of ignoring safety advice, right up to the eve of the collapse.

    "It would appear, bluntly, the motive was greed," said District Attorney Seth Williams.

    It was the morning of June 5, 2013, when a 4-story, free-standing brick wall came crashing down on top of the Salvation Army Thrift Store on the corner of 22nd and Market Streets. Shoppers and workers inside were buried in the debris -- including one woman, for 13 hours.

    The grand jury investigation, according to Williams, "places Campbell at the center of culpability." Williams said that instead of opting for the safest way to dismantle the building, Campbell opted for the most profitable way, which included salvaging some of the dismantled parts.

    Murder Charges Announced in Building Collapse

    [PHI] Murder Charges Announced in Building Collapse
    Philadelphia District Attorney Seth Williams announces key findings of a Grand Jury investigation into the June 5, 2013 fatal building collapse in Center City. (Published Monday, Nov 25, 2013)

    Williams said numerous demolition and construction experts testified before the grand jury, explaining that there was one appropriate way to take the building down.

    "The building should have been taken down hand by hand, piece by piece, brick by brick," Williams said.

    Instead of taking the building apart from the outside, Campbell removed key structural parts of the building from inside first, using heavy machinery, according to Williams.

    "He therefore chose to maximize his profits by first deciding to remove the joists, which were valuable for his resale." That left the walls without support, Williams said.

    Campbell Turns Himself In

    [PHI] Campbell Turns Himself In
    no description (Published Monday, Nov 25, 2013)

    On the night before the collapse, Plato Marinakos, an architect and the project's expeditor, allegedly warned Campbell that the unbraced wall could collapse at any time. According to Williams, Campbell promised that night to have the part of the wall that towered above thrift store taken down, brick-by-brick. The work was started, but never finished. On the morning of the collapse, about an hour before the walls crumbled, Campbell called Marinakos and told him the freestanding part of the wall was safely removed.

    The collapse happened at 10:41 a.m. Four minutes later, Campbell began repeatedly calling Marinakos. According to the grand jury presentment:

    ...Campbell called Marinakos and told him that the building collapsed and he should get to the site right away. As Marinakos traveled to the store, Campbell continued to "frantically" call Marinakos and plead for him to get to the site. Eventually, Marinakos got to the site and found Campbell in the chaos. Marinakos asked Campbell how this happened and Campbell admitted to him "he didn't take the wall down" and stated "I'm sorry."

    Construction accident attorney, Robert Mongeluzzi, who is defending the majority of survivors and victims' families who have filed civil suits, said he was looking forward to the continued work of the grand jury to see if anyone higher up the chain of command would be indicted.

    Caught on Video: Deadly Building Collapse

    [PHI] Caught on Video: Center City Building Collapse
    A SEPTA bus that is traveling eastbound on Market Street from 23rd street headed toward 22nd Street captures the video of the Center City building collapse on June 5, 2013. NBC10's Harry Hairston reports. (Published Friday, Jul 26, 2013)

    "The information we've discovered and the emails we've uncovered have proven that this accident occurred because of decisions made over days and weeks and not just on the job site," Mongeluzzi said. He also questioned whether Marinakos, the expeditor, could have done more.

    "If I was at a job site and there was a wall that I knew could potentially collapse onto the building next door, the first thing I would have done is pick up the phone and call 911, the police department and OSHA," Mongeluzzi said.

    Campbell did not talk when he turned himself in on Nov. 26, but his attorney, William Hobson said the collapse was a horrible, tragic accident and that his client did nothing wrong.

    "We will vigorously defend all these allegations and charges," Hobson said, lashing out at the DA. "It was no accident that the Monday before Thanksgiving that the District Attorney decided to indict our client.

    "I hope that Campbell's arrest will give victims and their families some sense of relief, although I know their pain will never go away," Williams said.

    In the wake of the collapse, the city’s Department of Licenses & Inspections issued new guidelines for demolitions taking place inside the city.

    A special City Council investigative committee also issued 71 reform recommendations ranging from changes in demolition paperwork to altering the Philadelphia Code to giving the Philadelphia Fire Department more power to stop bad demolitions.

    The parents of Anne Bryan, one of the victims who died in the collapse, pushed for the creation of a blue-ribbon commission to investigate L&I. Bryan, 24, was shopping with her best friend Mary Lea Simpson inside the store the morning of the collapse. Both died.

    "We are hopeful this is only the beginning of the Grand Jury’s work and that eventually all those that were responsible for the death of our daughter and the other victims are held criminally responsible to the fullest extent of the law."