NBC10.com - Katy Zachry
The fiery blast caused by a gas leak critically injured one woman. The woman's friends talked to NBC10's Katy Zachry about her recovery.
A gas leak is being blamed for the explosion and fire that severely injured a woman and destroyed a three-story apartment home in Haddon Heights, New Jersey, according to officials.
On Sunday, Camden County Fire Marshal Paul Sandrock told NBC10 that a leaking natural gas line to a second-floor appliance was the root cause of the explosion. The gas ignited when a tenant turned on her stove.
Firefighters were called to 101 White Horse Pike in Camden County for a report of an explosion around 3:30 p.m. Saturday. Witnesses tell NBC10.com they heard an explosion and believe that it came from a third floor apartment. Investigators say the third floor of the building collapsed into the second floor.
Police say Raquel Nunn was taken to Cooper Medical Center with severe burns over 60 percent of her body. The other victim was taken to Lady of Lourdes Hospital with minor injuries. Haddon Heights Councilman Steven Berry Hill, who lives next door to the property, told NBC10's Katy Zachry he was evacuated from his home as a precaution.
"It's the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. I mean the whole thing. I just pray that nobody was on the second floor because the third flood just collapsed down into the second floor," he said.
More than 60 firefighters and nine fire companies from the surrounding area helped to battle the fire, according to authorities.
The Victorian-style home is divided into five apartments. All six people who live there have been accounted for. Investigators say no one else injured in the blaze.