Charges Withdrawn in Rec Center Rape Case

A 12-year-old girl claimed she was raped by five teens at a Philadelphia Rec Center. Charges were withdrawn against those teens on Friday

By Lauren DiSanto
|  Friday, Aug 31, 2012  |  Updated 4:30 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Charges Withdrawn in Rec Center Rape Case

NBC10 Philadelphia

Charges against five teens accused of rape were withdrawn on Friday.

advertisement

A 12-year-old girl claimed she was raped by five teens at a Philadelphia Rec Center last month. Charges were withdrawn against those teens on Friday.

"She was not raped," said District Attorney Seth Williams in a statement released Friday. He added that "exonerating those that we should not prosecute is just as important as prosecuting those that we can, if our system is to have legitimacy, to be fair and to be just."

The 12-year-old girl told police that on July 16, she was gang-raped by the group of teenagers at the Francis Myers Recreational Center in the Kingsessing section of the city. She told investigators she was using the computer room when she was lured into the stairwell by the boys.

Early Friday, charges against those five teens were withdrawn by the District Attorney, who called this "a very sad story."

Philadelphia's Recreation Department still considers the incident a wake-up call and will proceed with plans to install 15 new security cameras at Francis Myers Rec Center next week.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
FlyeredUp: Win 2 Tickets to Flyers Playoff Game
Win two tickets to the first... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out