BBQ Grill Erupts Into Flames, 2-Year-Old Boy Badly Burned | NBC 10 Philadelphia

BBQ Grill Erupts Into Flames, 2-Year-Old Boy Badly Burned



    Getty Images

    A 2-year-old boy was left fighting for his life after he was badly burned during an accident at a Memorial Day barbecue.

    Police say the boy was at a family gathering around 2 p.m. Monday at a home on the 200 block of East Hazeldell Avenue in the Minquadale community of New Castle, Del. During the gathering, police say a person used gasoline to start a barbecue grill. The gasoline vapors erupted into flames however and badly burned the young boy who was standing near the grill.

    The boy suffered second- and third-degree burns to his face and chest. He was taken to the Crozer Burn Center in Upland, Pa. where he remained in critical but stable condition Tuesday morning, according to Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio.

    The child wasn't identified.

    No one was charged in the incident.

    Fire officials warn that gasoline is an extremely flammable liquid and should never be used as an accelerant for any method of cooking.


    Get the latest from NBC10 Philadelphia anytime: Android/iPhone/iPad Apps | SMS Alerts | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS