More alleged victims have come forward after police announced the arrest of a man accused of sexually assaulting two teen girls he met on Facebook.
David Martinez, 20, of Bethlehem, was already in jail on two counts of rape when prosecutors say six more victims contacted detectives.
Investigators say the first sexual assault happened on Sept. 22, 2012 at Martinez's Bethlehem home along the 400 block of Maple Street. The victim, who was 17 years old at the time of the alleged attack, told police she and Martinez met up in person for the first time after connecting on Facebook.
Martinez allegedly sat her on the couch and told the teen he wanted to have sex. When she refused, police say he ripped off her pants, held her down and raped her.
A second assault, involving a 14-year-old girl, happened on Jan. 19, 2013, according to investigators. Northampton County District Attorney John Morganelli says the girl informed Martinez she was only 14 when they began their online relationship.
A press conference was held last week announcing Martinez’s arrest and the charges against him. Prosecutors say within hours of the announcement, six more teens came forward.
“These girls indicated that they were contacted via Facebook by Mr. Martinez,” said Morganelli. “They’re all in the same age range. I think this group of six girls were between 16 and 19 years of age.”
Morganelli says that like the original victims, the six new alleged victims claimed they were enticed through a Facebook relationship to come over to Martinez’s row home. They tell police Martinez raped them on his couch once they arrived.
“These are girls that are at an age in which they are vulnerable,” said Morganelli.
Police searched Martinez's home on February 7, seizing his computer, iPhone and other items. Martinez is being held on $200,000 bail. Anyone with information can call Bethlehem Police at 610-997-7674.