A man accused of targeting and robbing elderly victims in Philadelphia is now in custody while his alleged accomplices are still on the loose.
Keith Perkins, 43, of Philadelphia, surrendered to police on Monday. He's charged with robbery, theft, simple assault, criminal conspiracy and other related offenses.
According to investigators, Perkins, along with Joseph Donaldson, 28, and Ronald Singleton, 52, were involved in eleven robberies between April and August at various locations throughout the city. During the majority of the incidents, police say the suspects followed an elderly victim as they took out money from a bank and returned to their homes. They then assaulted the victims, stole their cash and then fled.
According to investigators, the suspects are responsible for the following robberies at the following times and locations:
- April 24: Suspect robs 96-year-old man returning from grocery shopping on the 2100 block of Bergess Street
- May 16: Suspect attacks 44-year-old man with a rock on North Leithgow Street, steals wallet containing ID, $55 and iPhone
- June 2: Suspect spots 87-year-old man on North 11th Street and steals $496 from his back pocket
- June 3: Suspect spots a 72-year-old man at the TD Bank on Cottman Avenue, follows him to his home on Leonard Street and steals $750 in cash after a brief struggle
- June 30: Suspect spots 91-year-old man at Wells Fargo Bank at Frankford and Girard Avenue, follows him to his home on West Wildey Street and steals $623 from his back pocket
- July 1: Suspect spots an 86-year-old man at the PNC Bank on Rising Sun Avenue, follows him to his home on Rhawn Street, punches him in the face and then steals an undetermined amount of cash
- July 5: Suspect spots an 80-year-old man at the PNC Bank on Cottman Avenue as well as the Wells Fargo Bank on Bustleton Avenue, follows him to his home on Saint Vincent Street, punches him in the chest and steals an undetermined amount of cash
- July 7: Suspect spots an 81-year-old man at Citizens Bank Park on Frankford Avenue, follows him to his home on Tyson Avenue, pushes the victim and steals an undetermined amount of cash
- July 21: Suspect spots an 81-year-old man withdrawing $1000 from the Wells Fargo Bank on Frankford Avenue, follows him to Gallo’s Seafood restaurant on Stanwood Street and steals the money from his car as the suspect waits for food.
- August 6: Suspect spots an 82-year-old man leaving Wells Fargo Bank on Aramingo Avenue, follows him to Tulip Street, punches him in the face, sprays him with mace and steals an envelope containing $600
- August 13: Suspect spots an 83-year-old woman and 87-year-old man at PNC Bank on Cottman Avenue, follows them to their home on Rutland Street, knocks them to the ground from behind and steals the woman’s handbag containing $300, keys and personal items.
After the robberies, police say the suspects fled the scene in a silver-colored Chevrolet Malibu. While Perkins is in custody, police continue to search for Donaldson and Singleton. According to investigators, Donaldson lives on the 100 block of North Paxson Street and was spotted on surveillance video wearing a superman shirt. They also say Singleton has a grey beard and lives on 5100 Hawthorne Street.
If you have any information on their whereabouts, please call Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS(8477).