Villanova Student Died From Alcohol Poisoning: ME

According to the Medical Examiner, 18-year-old Kinara Patel died from alcohol poisoning.

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Facebook
    Kinara Patel, 18, was found dead inside a Villanova University dorm room on Thursday, August 29, 2013.

    The Delaware County Medical Examiner has revealed the cause of death of on an 18-year-old Villanova University student who was found dead in a dorm room last August.

    According to the Medical Examiner, 18-year-old Kinara Patel died from alcohol poisoning.

    WATCH: Vulgar senior prank causes thousand of dollars in damage

    Investigation Into Villanova Students Death Continues

    [PHI] Investigation Into Villanova Students Death Continues
    Police are investigating whether alcohol may have played a factor in the death of an 18-year-old Villanova University student. An autopsy will be proformed Friday.

    Patel, a sophomore business student from North Jersey, was discovered around 10 a.m. on Aug. 29, inside Sullivan Hall on the university's main campus in Radnor Township, Pa., according to officials.

    Radnor Township Police Lt. Andy Block says investigators believe Patel died overnight after spending a night out with friends in Bryn Mawr, Pa. Her body was discovered by a friend.

    Police Investigate Death of Villanova Student

    [PHI] Police Investigate Mysterious Death of Villanova Student
    Police investigate the mysterious death of a student at Villanova University. She was found dead inside her dorm. Authorities are trying to determine if alcohol is to blame. NBC10's Nefertiti Jaquez reports.

    "You're done with a class. You see people everyday. Then all of a sudden something like this happens," said Tim Leyden, a friend and classmate of Patel.

    When asked if police believed the teen was drinking in a bar the night before her death, Lt. Block said that was one possibility police were looking into.

    The autopsy report, released on Sunday, states that 5-foot-2-inch Patel ingested a "lethal quantity of ethanol."

    The death sent shockwaves through the Nova community.

    In an email message to the Villanova University community, Vice President for Student Life Fr. John Stack called Patel's death "tragic."

    "All of us here at Villanova are saddened to learn of this tragedy and extend our deepest sympathy and prayers to family and friends of this student," Fr. Stack said in the short message.

    Nearly 100 people gathered at St. Thomas of Villanova Church last August to pray for Patel and her family.

    Patel's death came just three days after undergraduate classes for the Fall 2013 semester began.

    Sullivan Hall is a residence building reserved for 400 sophomore students on the school's Quad section, according to the university's website. The dorm is co-ed and sexes are split by floors.

    Founded in 1842, Villanova University is a Catholic university with an undergraduate and graduate enrollment of more than 10,000 students.

    Its campus stretches into two townships -- Lower Merion and Radnor -- in both Montgomery and Delaware Counties, respectively.