Na’eem Douglas, NBC10.Com
Community members are reeling after a father and son died in a fire that broke out in their home Saturday morning.
Officials are investigating a house fire that killed a father and son in Northeast Philadelphia.
The fire broke out around 9 a.m. on Saturday at a home on the 12000 block of Salina Place. Firefighters brought the flames under control at 9:37 a.m.
Firefighters found the bodies of Tom Mayor and his son Carl Mayor inside the dining room of the home when they searched inside. They were both pronounced dead at the scene.
"We would sit for hours and just talk," said Fran Posadowski, a neighbor of the two victims. "Every week I would make him a big bowl of pasta. The son was a vegetarian. I'd make separate portions for both of them. He was just wonderful."
Officials say the fire began in the living room of the house. They also say that the father and son were hoarders, which made the home difficult to navigate. Officials say the amount of items and plastics inside the home caused the fire to burn intensely hot and give off fumes.
Officials continue to investigate what sparked the fire.
The American Red Cross of Southeastern Pennsylvania handed out smoke alarms and fire safety information in the Northeast Philadelphia neighborhood Monday afternoon with the fire department and Red Paw.