A little mind candy for the middle of your day

Tom Cruise Sued For $1 Billion for Allegedly Stealing "Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol" Script Idea

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Getty Images
    Tom Cruise is being sued for $1 billion by a screenwriter who claims the idea for the "Mission: Impossible -- Ghost Protocol" story was stolen from his own script.

    It seems that the legal tables are now being turned on Tom Cruise.

    Less than two months after the 51-year-old actor settled his $50 million defamation lawsuit against Bauer Media, the "Oblivion" star is now being sued, thanks to his iconic role in as Ethan Hunt in the famous action franchise.

    Timothy Patrick Mclanahan is suing Tom Cruise, Brad Grey, Paramount Pictures, Skydance Pictures, Cruise/Wagner Productions and others for copyright infringement because he claims they stole his script idea for the making of the 2011 film "Mission: Impossible-Ghost Protocol."

    According to the legal documents obtained by E! News, McLanahan says he wrote a screenplay in 1998 called "Head On," which he subsequently sent to William Morris Agency.

    NEWS: The 7 most surprising revelations from Tom Cruise's deposition in his defamation case

    He claims the script was taken to CAA without his knowledge and shown to Cruise's agent.

    McLanahan says when he saw "Mission: Impossible-Ghost Protocol" he "immediately recognized the script for this movie had been illegally written and produced from 'Head On''s 1998" script. He does not cite any examples of similarities in his lawsuit.

    Cruise's attorney, Bert Fields, has yet to respond to E! News' request for comment.

    In late December, the three-time Academy Award nominated actor settled out of court with the publisher of In Touch Weekly and Life & Style in response to stories which claimed the A-lister "abandoned" daughter Suri Cruise after his divorce from Katie Holmes. The suit was filed on Oct. 24, 2012.

    PHOTOS: Tom Cruise: Movie Star